Hi friends! Welcome to Fetch For Me, Human. We are happy to have you here!
Fetch for Me, Human was inspired the cute, wrinkly, smushy face dog you see here, Buster. I got Buster as a 6 week old puppy (do not recommend!), and it has been a wild ride ever since. Buster has always had some pretty serious medical and behavioral concerns. He has allergies galore and is extremely reactive but also high energy. I happen to already work with dogs medically by day, but figuring out his quirky behavior is what led me to working with dogs behaviorally by night. People often get embarrassed with their reactive dogs. Plus, people have busy schedules and busy lives, so I understand that getting your reactive dog out for training can be a feat and often overwhelming. That’s where I come in to help! I want to make a positive impact in your relationship with your dog, and I want you to be able to get out and do more with your reactive dog.
So who am I?
My name is Alix, and my life basically revolves around dogs! I have been working as a vet tech for over 5 years, and right now I work exclusively with working dogs (single purpose explosive detection canines, to be exact). I have also been training dogs for over 5 years, utilizing positive reinforcement methods. I live outside of Northern Virginia and train professionally in the area. I particularly enjoy working on behavioral modification and dog sports (agility and scent work are my favorite), but I’ve done a little bit of everything.
Since I am exposed to dogs all day every day in a variety of ways, I am constantly observing and learning more about them. Real life experience is definitely the best way to learn!
I have attended seminars by world renowned dog trainers, like Pat Miller. I also study and participate in a positive reinforcement online dog training school filled with seasoned dog sport trainers from all over the world.
10 Fun Facts About Me
- I didn’t like the name Buster at first. I wanted to name him Dexter (I may have been obsessed with that show at the time). Luckily, I stuck with Buster.
- Golden Girls and I Love Lucy are my favorite shows of all time.
- I am a coffee addict. I like my coffee very strong, dark, and black though. There’s really only one or two things I get from Starbucks, because most of their drinks are just way too sweet for me.
- When I was in high school, I wanted to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. I went to numerous medical and leadership camps and loved them. I had always loved animals though, and one day I just woke up and said “Nope. I’d rather save animals instead.”
- I was a vegetarian for about 6 months in high school but somehow stopped. I went vegetarian again in mid-2017 and have been ever since!
- If Buster wasn’t reactive, I would have a second bitesport competition dog already. But, he is reactive, and I love him more than anything, so I will wait. So one day, I will have a bitesport competition dog. It will probably be either a Border Collie or Belgian Malinois.
- I live on 9 acres and seldom walk around the whole 9 because venomous snakes (copperheads and timber rattlers here) are my worst nightmare. I do like being secluded from other people though.
- I hate big cities. My idea of a good vacation is a cabin in the mountains somewhere. I don’t really enjoy the beach either.
- Speaking of that, I vacationed to Maine in early 2018, and all of my vacations since have also been to Maine. I love that state and think it’s perfect. One day, I will move there.
- I consider working with dogs my workout. We hike, train, run agility courses, etc. I am not a fan of the gym or working out or running.